Here’s how to grow your own sunflowers:
- Plant them in a sunny location with moist, well-drained soil.
- Prepare the soil by adding some garden soil or compost.
- Sow seeds directly in the soil when it warms up in the spring. Plant about an inch deep and six inches apart.
- Water seeds when you plant them and regularly during the growing season. Don’t overwater.
- When your sunflowers are about three inches tall, thin them so they’re 12 to 18 inches apart. You can move seedlings to another location if you’re gentle and mke sure they stay moist until they’re established.
- Starting a month after planting, feed sunflowers with compost or other fertilizer.